Salida Regional Library Board of Trustees
Agenda – 11/01/16
- Call to order.
- Reading & approval of minutes.
- Discussion of financial report.
- Quickbooks reports.
- Deposit detail.
- Deposits & Investments.
- Public Comment.
- Reports of Officers.
- Report of Director.
- Action Items and Unfinished business.
- Sign Update: sign committee
- Budget Discussion: draft sent in packets
- New Trustee submission to County Commissioners
- New Business.
- Rotary dues/payment
- Executive Session.
- Discussion with Harry Brull on Director evaluation
Salida Regional Library
Board of Trustees Meeting
The regular October meeting of the Board of Trustees was held at the Library. All four of the Trustees were present; Dick Isenberger, Tim Sundgren, Connie DeLuca, and Susan Ragan. Also present were Director Susan Matthews and Trustee-elect Cheryl Pearce-Trujillo. President Isenberger called the meeting to order at 5:00 pm and Amanda Nye Stevenson recorded the Minutes of the meeting.
Motion by Tim Sundgren, seconded by Connie DeLuca to approve the 09/27/16 minutes with two corrections. Motion carried.
Special Meeting Minutes
Motion by Connie DeLuca, seconded by Tim Sundgren to approve the revised 10/24/16 Special Meeting minutes. Motion carried.
- Some expense categories are down for 2016 as Susan was considering the budget.
- One correction was made to the Endowment budget for interest income from $6,000.00 to $3,700.00 as approved for the 2016 budget.
Motion by Susan Ragan, seconded by Tim Sundgren to approve the September financial report. Motion carried.
Deposit Detail, Payment of Bills, CD worksheet, Capital One Statement, & Payroll Report
- Connie and Susan created a new summary for the presentation of the CD worksheet.
- A brief summary of the investment goals of the Library were explained to Cheryl: a three-year ladder, excluding one budget year of available funds, and maximizing PDPA (Public Deposit Protection Act) CDs and bonds as advised by Troy Hunsucker and investigated by the Investment Subcommittee.
- Susan will speak Troy soon regarding several funds that will mature in December.
Motion by Connie DeLuca, seconded by Susan Ragan to approve the 9/24-10/26/16 bills per the attached list. Motion carried.
- No members of the public members were present
- No Officers’ Report
- Susan held a meeting a Volunteer meeting. Fifteen people attended and brought many ideas. A Staff member will be the Volunteer liaison. In December she will create a list of the interests and knowledge base of the Volunteers and link with patron and Library needs.
- Several new programs will be launched in January; both teen and adult book clubs, a writers’ lab, etc.
- The Fall Book Sale will be Saturday, November 12th. The same pool of Volunteers will conduct the sale and be responsible for all facets including the clean-up.
- A Staff Training Day will be held Friday, November 18th. The Salida High Counselor will conduct a Mental Health First Aid training to give Staff tools to deal with sensitive patron issues that continue to rise. Additional topics to be covered were requested by Staff.
- The iOS (mobile operating system) installed on the public computers is no longer supported. We may need to switch to Windows machines if the Macs cannot be updated. The existing monitors, keyboards, and mice are fine. The change may be made on the 18th during the Staff Training Day.
- The Staff health insurance plan will renew shortly and Susan will check into options.
- Susie Ragan liked the use of materials on submissions received. She also would like to support the arts community in Salida.
- Dick was disappointed and would like to see more entries. He would like to see a more traditional rectangular sign visible from three directions and thinks $5,000.00 is too high.
- It is proposed to rebid with another less wordy RFP which includes accountability.
- Tim would like to compare a ‘standard’ sign vs. an ‘artsy’ one.
- A Sign subcommittee of Susan Ragan and Susan Matthews was formed to do the legwork.
- Tabled until the new year.
- Connie likes the additional supporting write-up that Susan included with the budget.
- Susan was conservative with the estimated income and included an increase in the facilities and repairs budget to take care of building issues before they become worse.
- A large surplus is estimated for 2016.
- Tim would like to see the budget entered when expenses are paid, not as twelfths.
- Susan did not account for the E-rate reimbursement for internet and phone it has not been granted yet. The final numbers would not be available until Spring of 2017. Erate runs from July 1 – June 30 calendar.
- A cell phone allowance for Susan is budgeted as she uses her personal phone for work. If data usage becomes an issue, this can be addressed as well.
- An increase for postage is anticipated as the sending of notices has changed Marmot-wide.
- Next year’s materials expense will be split into children and adult categories. Manipulatives are puzzles for the children’s room.
- The County has sent the anticipated tax collection for 2017 and Susan used formula for income.
- The Board would also like to pay the Rotary dues for the Director.
Motion by Susan Ragan, seconded by Tim Sundgren, that the Library will pay Susan Matthews’ Rotary dues of $200.00 annually. Motion carried.
- The new Trustee position was accepted by Cheryl Pearce-Trujillo. The letter has been submitted to the County Commissioners for consideration and approval at their next meeting.
Motion to adjourn the regular meeting at 6:00 was seconded. Motion carried.
Using section 24-6-402 (4) (f), Purpose – “Personnel Matters” of the Colorado Revised Statutes the SRL Board of Trustees voted to approve moving from a Special Meeting to an Executive Session for the sole purpose of discussing the six month review of the new Library Director Susan Matthews. The four trustees and Harry Brull were present. Mr. Brull offered input from Staff, Board, and Susan Matthews from his evaluation.
The Executive Meeting was recorded . The Special and Executive Meeting on November 1, 2016 were properly posted.
The Board did not “adopt any proposed policy, position, resolution or formal action” during the Executive Session which concluded at 7:30 pm.
The SRL Special Board Meeting reconvened at 7:35 pm.
In attendance were Board members Dick Isenberger, Tim Sundgren, Connie DeLuca, and Susan Ragan. Also in attendance were Susan Matthews and Harry Brull.
The members discussed with Director Susan Matthews and Harry Brull her performance evaluation, which had input from both board members as well as staff. After the discussion, the board made the decision to give the Director a $2000 bonus.
Motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:15 was seconded. Motion carried.
The next regular meeting will be held at 2:00 pm 11/28/16 at the Library.
As Trustees in attendance at this meeting, we certify the correctness of the Minutes: