Salida Regional Library Board of Trustees
Agenda – 1/26/16
1. Call to order.
2. Reading & approval of minutes.
3. Discussion of financial report.
a. Quickbooks reports.
b. Deposit detail.
d. Deposits & Investments.
4. Public Comment.
a. Reports of Officers.
b. Report of Director.
6. Action Items and Unfinished business.
a. Janitorial Contract re-bid in 2016.
b. Rental property walkthrough update.
c. Purchasing of shelf dividers for Annex shelves
d. Rotary club requests for Imagination Library funds: $1000
7. New Business.
a. Board agendas & minutes on website
Salida Regional Library
Board of Trustees Meeting
A special meeting of the Board of Trustees was held at the Library to make the final selection for the Director position. All Trustees were present, Susan Ragan, Dick Isenberger, Steve Craig, Connie DeLuca, and Tim Sundgren. Also present was consultant Harry Brull of BCG Consulting Group. President Isenberger called the meeting to order at 5:06 pm and Steve Craig recorded the Minutes of the meeting.
Mike Swords, member of the public, presented a letter of concern and issues to the Board.
At Connie’s request, Harry Brull described his assessment process.
The need or desireability of having a contract was discussed.
A salary offer amount was discussed.
A consensus concerning the final candidate selection and potential salary offer was provided to Harry Brull for further action.
Motion by Susan Ragan, seconded by Connie DeLuca, to nominate Susan Matthews for the Director position. Motion carried.
Harry Brull informed the Board that Susan accepted the offer.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:10 p.m.
Salida Regional Library
Board of Trustees Meeting
The regular January meeting of the Board of Trustees was held at the Library. Three of five of the Trustees were present; Dick Isenberger, Tim Sundgren, and Steve Craig; Susan Ragan and Connie DeLuca were absent. Also present was Acting Director Susan Matthews. President Isenberger called the meeting to order at 5:01 pm and Amanda Nye Stevenson recorded the Minutes of the meeting.
Motion by Tim Sundgren, seconded by Steve Craig, to approve the 12/01/15 minutes. Motion carried.
Motion by Tim Sundgren, seconded by Steve Craig, to approve the 01/05/16 Special Meeting minutes. Motion carried.
• The Repair expense line item exceeded budgeted amount for 2015. A detail was provided.
• A $7,002 check from the insurance was received in January 2016 finalizing the roof repair project.
• Jeff’s accrued vacation and sick leave payoff is recorded in Gross Wages for W2 purposes. The offsetting asset is recorded in the decrease of Compensated Absences liability.
• Dues & Meeting expense line item was over budget as 2 retirement parties were hosted in 2015.
• Overall, we came in under-budget for 2015.
• Endowment fund insurance expense includes a 2014 premium paid in 2015.
• Rental payments are $850.00/month. The walk-through was completed 12/5/15. The current renter will be retiring in a few years and has been there many years as a dependable tenant. Tim feels it is worth the low rent payments to avoid additional expenses ie: 10-35% property management fee, repairs, etc. The house was purchased intending to be used for Library needs, not as an investment. Tabled; awaiting Connie’s report.
• Future Projects transfers are all completed and recorded for 2015.
Motion by Steve Craig, seconded by Tim Sundgren, to approve the November/December financial report. Motion carried.
Deposit Detail, Payment of Bills, CD worksheet, Capital One Statement, & Payroll Report
Motion by Tim Sundgren, seconded by Steve Craig, to approve the 11/23/15-1/20/16 bills as per the attached list. Motion carried.
• CD worksheet-ColoTrust interest rate has risen to 0.3%. No CDs are maturing soon. The investment ladder is in good shape.
• No members of the public were present, no public comment.
• The letter from a patron was discussed. The Libraries #1 focus is customer service. The patron did not bring his concerns to Susan’s attention. Jeff and Amanda have many saved emails. Susan will practice an open-door policy for patrons. A new methodology was developed for making sure that this patron has a printout of checked-in items. Also, staff will utilize the ‘buddy system’ for dealing with difficult patrons. Susan will be responding in writing after receiving input from the Board.
Acting Director’s Report
• Susan will be working 1 day/week and some weekend hours before beginning full-time 02/22/16.
• A staff meeting was held 1/14/16 and all staff were in attendance. The staff meeting time will be changing to the 4th Thursday of the month at 4:15 pm to accommodate as many schedules as possible.
• Continuing to change accounts from Jeff to Susan
• Visiting the janitorial contract is a staff priority as well as shelf dividers in the collapsable shelving in the annex.
• Kenny Berndt has submitted an option for the replacement of a broken piece to the boiler.
• The Mountain Mail published a nice article and a positive community response has been received.
a. Janitorial Contract
• Susan had a meeting with Connie Salazar this morning.
• The current contract has a 30-+day cancelation clause.
• Added to the duties is daily removal of the outdoor garbages and courier processing area in the annex.
• Susan created a 2 week spreadsheet with the updated locations and duties including a sign-in and -out.
• Becky will verify in the morning completion of the checked-off items from the night before.
• Susan will follow-up with Connie. If no improvement is seen, a 2 week notification will be given to terminate services.
• Cleaning service options in Salida may be limited
b. Rental Property
c. Shelf Dividers
• Most of the shelves in the rolling shelving in the annex do not have any dividers. (tour of annex to demonstrate books falling off of shelves)
• Mike Cooper provided a detailed estimate of costs for a local business to fabricate the dividers. To purchase from the shelving manufacturer the cost is almost twice as costly. Labor cost is negotiable; dividers will not be painted.
Motion by Steve Craig, seconded by Tim Sundgren, to approve the Acting Director Susan Matthews’ recommendation to purchase shelf dividers.
d. Rotary Club request
• We donated $1,000 during 2015 as seed money to assist in the launching of the Imagination Library program by Dolly Parton. Fifty percent of our community is enrolled and is considered a highly successful program.
• Susan will contact Sunrise Rotary to discuss the long-term plans for supporting this program.
e. Boiler repair
• The flame safeguard control needs replacing.
a. Board agenda and minutes on website
• We will begin posting the agenda and approved minutes on the website
b. Reimbursement for Connie DeLuca
Motion by Tim Sundgren, seconded by Steve Craig, to approve the reimbursement to Connie DeLuca for ordering and purchasing the gift of $680.22 for Jeff Donlan’s retirement. Motion carried.
c. Funds transfers for Jan-Feb operating expenses
• 10K was transferred from ColoTrust Endowment fund to the General to cover January payroll. An additional 30K will be transferred from the MM to the General to cover operating expenses in February and reimburse the Endowment fund.
Motion by Steve Craig, seconded by Tim Sundgren, to make the necessary funds transfers for January payroll and February operating expenses. Motion carried.
d. Director’s Contract
• The Board is working on finalizing the contract with the assistance of Harry Bruel. It is suggested that the contract will be submitted to Mountain States Employers Council (MSEC) for review. Only 2 of the 30 hours of contract review time with MSEC have been used. We pay $1300/year for services through MSEC.
Motion by Steve Craig, seconded by Tim Sundgren, to submit the Director’s contract to MSEC for review. Motion carried.
• Susan’s official start date is 2/19/16. Until that time we have a verbal agreement to work hourly, and to be paid an hourly rate prorated at $5,000/month.
Motion by Tim Sundgren, seconded by Steve Craig, to authorize Susan Matthews the powers, authorities, and responsibilities of Acting Director effective 1/15/16 until 2/18/16 and to compensated hourly at the annual rate. Motion carried.
Motion to adjourn the regular meeting at 6:40 was seconded. Motion carried.
The next regular meeting will be held at 5:00 pm 02/23/16 at the Library.
As Trustees in attendance at this meeting, we certify the correctness of the Minutes: